Oakwood Cemetery is located on the north edge of Honey Grove, on State Highway 100, or Fifth Street. It is just south of the Highway 100 and U.S. Highway 82 intersection.
Map of Cemetery
Burials From 1891-1939
Burials from 1940-1959
Burials from 1960-1969
Burials from 1970-1979
Burials from 1980-1989
Burials from 1990-1999
Burials from 2000-
Oakwood Cemetery is a non-profit organization and deductions to it are tax-deductible. Current officers are President, Mary Pauline Yarbrough, Vice-President, John Mahler, Secretary, Mary Anne Thurman, and Treasurer, Bobby Joyce. Other directors are Harold Roberts, Bill Thurman, Owen Glover, Jimmy Doyle, and Johnnie Smith. The grounds manager is Jimmy Doyle.
Although the cemetery is not set up as perpetual care, it has become perpetual care. A few people still keep their lots, but the majority are cared for by a paid maintenance man. The cemetery is always in need of donations, as interest seemingly goes down each year, and the cost of maintenance goes up.
Below is a history of the cemetery written by C. B. Trout in 1956.
The name "Oakwood Cemetery" was chosen because of the large oak trees on the plot of 3 acres donated by B . S. Walcott for a public burial ground. The first grave of record is that of James G. Gilmer, who was born May 15, 1814, and who died April 5, 1846. The cemetery apparently opened for public use about 1835. This would be a gap of about 11 years from the time it opened until the first recorded grave. There must certainly have been some burials during this time and they would be older than the Gilmer grave. The cemetery was originally known as the Walcott graveyard.
Among the older graves, we find, Sarah Ann Pullion, wife of P.E. Pullion, who did September 5, 1854; S.A. McDowell, died September 30, 1855; Robert Tucker, died December 26, 1857; Curtis Tucker, did August 2, 1858; B. S. White, died November 22, 1878; Sinclair Sapp, died June 15, 1870; Sallie Denon, died November 11, 1884.
There were many others who died and were buried in the original 3 acre tract between 1884 and 1891. The original tract is filled by 1891.
Ten Acres Added
An additional area about ten acres just north of the original 3 acres was added. This purchase was made by he City of Honey Grove and according to records of the time, it appears that the city operated the cemetery approximately 20 years or until all lots had been sold. The city secured the pay for the lots sold.
Lamaster Opens 2 Acre Tract
Seeing the need for additional room at the cemetery, L. C. Lamaster opened a 2 acre tract as a private enterprise. He sold this acreage in lots and he received the pay for same.
15 Acres Added
Further acreage being needed, L. C. Hill, C. B. Bryan, J. A. Underwood, E. E. Blocker and N. F Miller opened a tract of about 15 acres west of the old cemetery as a private enterprise. This acreage was west of the old cemetery.
The Oakwood Cemetery Association was granted a charter of incorporation by the Secretary of Sate of Texas on February 13, 1923, for a term of 50 years.
When Hill, Bryan, Underwood, Blocker and Miller had sold about 2/3 of the tract 15 acres they had purchased as a private enterprise, C. B. Trout, Secretary of he Association, purchased the remaining acreage of the tract for the association.
The first board of directors of the association composed of H. B. Ballew, T. B. Spelce, Miss B. Davidson, T. F. Willamson, Alf Self, Mrs. Ida Rhodes, Mrs. Ella Russell, G. W. Gambill, and G.W. McCleary.
Further room being needed, G. W. McCleary entered into an arrangement with H. C. Fewell by which he opened about a three acre tract north of the Hill addition and west of the city addition at the cemetery. Under the arrangement, the association was to sell these lots and pay Fewell 50% of the purchase price. When about half of the lots had been sold, C. B. Trout, Secretary-Manager, bought out the Fewell heirs for the association. Date of the transaction, April 15, 1935, the Fewell heirs gave the association sole ownership of the enclosed area of about 45 acres, plus about 30 feet on the north and east sides of the old cemetery. This 30 foot strip was a road abandoned when Highway 100 was opened. Since 1935, the association has received the entire price of all lots sold in all additions in every part of the cemetery. The association also owns about three acres on the east side of the cemetery not yet enclosed. (note: That area is now called the McCleary Addition, and is almost full). (note: In 1956, when this article was written by Mr. Trout, he noted that there were 3,200 burials listed.)
Some time about 1913, a movement was started to do away with the old barbed wire fence and to erect an ornamental fence. T. W. Trout was appointed chairman of a committee to raise the funds and superintend construction. This project was completed in about 6 months.
The Honey Grove Cooking Club financed the erection of the beautiful and substantial main entrance gate in 1910.
Water Piped and Chapel Erected
Other pressing needs for the cemetery was water and a chapel. With the aid of the City and a group of citizens, water was piped to all parts of the cemetery.
In 1907, the 20th Century Club, seeing the need of a chapel, as in those days undertakers did not provide chapels for funeral services as they do today, erected a beautiful 30 x 30 foot chapel.
Written by C. B. Trout
The chapel had to eventually be torn down because of storm damage from a storm in 1986.. A lovely park area is now where the chapel stood. The park holds markers commemorating the site of the chapel, the history of the cemetery, and a memorial marker for those buried there.
Over 275 veterans of the Civil War, World War I and World War II are represented in the cemetery, some with gravestones and some, whose bodies were not returned, with memorials. Also buried are members of Honey Grove's pre-Civil War slave community and freed black citizens.
Stones and historical markers of early pioneers
Cemetery Rules & Regulations
For information e-mail email@example.com
[Home] [Honey Grove Main Page] [Hall-Voyer] [Bertha Voyer Library] [e-mail]
Copyright© 2000 Hall-Voyer Foundation
All rights reserved
Site designed by Mary A. Thurman,
Hall-Voyer Foundation. For comments about site, e-mail
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please notify if broken links found. Site created March,
1999. Reviewed February, 2008.